Founded in 1994, Monitronics International is one of the nation’s largest, fastest-growing home security alarm monitoring companies. Headquartered in Dallas, they provide monitored business and home security system services to more than 1 million residential customers and commercial clients through its network of nationwide, independent Authorized Dealers.
Security System Overview
Monitronics Authorized Dealers use top-of-the-line equipment in their home security systems and each system comes with a lifetime warranty. System brand varies depending on location and needs. Monitronics home security equipment ranges from Honeywell, GE, and 2GIG products.
Monitronics’ HomeTouch Premier package includes:
- 1 Security Panel with Full-Color Touch-Screen Interface
- 1 Keychain Remote
- 1 Pet-Sensitive Motion Detector
- 3 Door/Window Sensors
- Security Yard Sign and Window Decals
- 2 Light Modules
- 1 Image Sensor
- Arm/disarm remotely
- Two-way voice
- Severe Weather Alerts
(Add-on equipment includes but is not limited to: Fire and Heat Detectors, Carbon Monoxide Detectors, Water/Freeze Detectors, Medical Pendants)
Here are some of the Monitronics advantages:
- Alarm Response Center has Five Diamond Certification achieved by less than 3% of recognized North American monitoring centers
- Professionally trained dispatchers certified by the Central Station Alarm Association (CSAA)
- Excellent Customer Service—97% of their service calls are resolved within the first phone call
Monitronics is one of the largest home security companies in the United States. They offer systems for families, single parents, and seniors to protect from medical, burglary, and fire emergencies. They even offer a security system for LatchKey kids that alerts the parents via cell phone. After the system is set up, each home can customize the system for their specific needs.
Monitronics has a solid customer service base with distributors who are willing to answer hard questions. Monitronics prices are on par with other major industry players. Prices at Monitronics range from $29.95 for landline monitoring to $35.95 for cellular. Installation comes free on basic packages and customers who qualify with credit checks get lower prices. Monitronics does not outsource its monitoring and performs all monitoring through their redundant station located in Dallas, Texas.
Although Monitronics has a minimal 200 BBB complaints per year (representing .02% of their subscriber base), most deal with equipment not functioning correctly and incorrect billing for service calls.
The company offers a wide variety of security equipment; however, not all equipment may be available in your area if the dealer for your area doesn’t support the installation of the equipment.
A representative from Monitronics wrote to us in response to their BBB complaints:
While .02% of customer complaints per year is relatively low, we’re not happy when a single customer is dissatisfied with our service. Customer Care agents are standing by to resolve all technical and account-related questions. Our Executive Response team proactively reaches out personally to customers who have extraordinary requests, ensuring that their issue is resolved and their experience with Monitronics is 100% positive going forward.
There are some concerns BHSC experts have about the Monitronics service. These include:
- Poor customer service – Users have left reviews on the Monitronics profile (see below) describing the negative experiences they have had with customer service.
- Long-term contracts – Contracts last 3-5 years and they are difficult to get out of.
- Billing issues – customers have expressed complaints regarding billing and cancelation along with the fees that come with their policy.
The Bottom Line
Monitronics is a nationally recognized alarm monitoring provider that has received various awards and recognition, including:
- Frost & Sullivan North American Alarm Monitoring Residential Security Company of the Year for 2008, 2010 and 2011
- 2012 and 2013 Consumers’ Choice Award® for excellence in business and customer service among Dallas-Fort Worth headquartered alarm system companies
- CSAA Five Diamond Certification that is achieved by less than 3% of recognized North American monitoring centers .
We recommend Monitronics. As always, we urge you to personally research the company before signing any contracts or buying equipment.