Street Fights Can Result In Death
People who don’t believe they have been brainwashed by the film industry, which repeatedly shows men in a brawl who are still standing after each have received a dozen punches to the head and face.
Sometimes it takes five full minutes to just daze a man, after he’s been hit in the face over and over, and struck in the back with a chair so hard the chair breaks. Men get slammed, even tossed, into walls, into cars, but bounce right back with their dukes up.
An article on gawker.com points out that just one punch could be lethal. And that hitting your head on the ground can be fatal. Bare hands can be deadly. The article also explains that because of this, you should do whatever it takes to stop the attacker—knowing that it might kill him—but at the same time, you shouldn’t deliberately try to kill him.
If your only way out is the nearby 2 x 4, and he’s a bull, then whack him. But geez, no need to impale him with the nearby pitchfork when instead you can just swing the other end into his knees.
How can one punch or a hard fall to concrete kill? The force could jar the brain, tearing a blood vessel, causing rapid bleeding—an acute subdural hematoma or subarachnoid hemorrhage. These don’t exist in Hollywood scripts.
Street Fight Smarts
- Consider pepper spray, but your brain is your best defense weapon.
- Park only in well-lit areas and never next to a van.
- Avoid walking in the dark when possible.
- If someone demands your car, money or jewelry, give it up.
- Micro-seconds count. You can always say, “I’m sorry for permanently damaging your eye,” later at the courthouse.
- Don’t scratch or slap; punch with a closed fist.
- Gouge at the eyes.
- Go for the nose.
- Slam fists into the sides of the neck.
- Kick at the knees.
- Ram a hand up between his legs—you know what the destination is.
If he’s “dragging” you to his car, drop to the ground and wrap your arms around his leg to become dead weight. If you think he’ll hit your head at that point, then make a break for it, because at that point, he doesn’t have his arms around you.