The Worst 5 Home Security Companies of 2015
In the United States, a home is broken into approximately every 13 seconds. And while even the appearance of a home security system on the property can deter up to 60% of would-be burglars from breaking in, that still puts homeowners at the mercy of the remaining 40%. The question is, is your home security system enough to keep out that remaining 40%?
As you can imagine, not all home security systems are created equal. And some companies are so poor at home security, that we here at BestHomeSecurityCompanys.com would go so far as to advise you against doing business with them. That being said, we’ve identified the five worst home security companies of 2015.
To help explain why these companies are the absolute worst 2015 has to offer, we’ve assigned two scores to each company – our score, and the user score.
What Is “Our Score”?
Here at BestCompany.com, we rank every home security company on the same 9-Point Ranking Criteria, identified as “Our Score,” with the highest possible score being a 10. Companies are evaluated on price, contract length, technology, and more.
What Is the “User Score”?
However, no “expert” opinion of any company can provide as complete a picture of a company as the actual customer experience can. This is why we also take the “User Score” into consideration. This score is calculated by taking the average of all the customer review scores posted on our site. Like “Our Score,” the “User Score” has a highest possible score of 10.
(Curious about which companies are the BEST in the business? Read their reviews HERE.)
5. Triad Security Systems
First up on the list is Triad Security Systems, with a whopping 4.2 out of 10. According to our research, most of Triad’s poor score can be attributed to its pricing. Not only were the monthly costs and upfront fees nowhere to be found on the Triad site, and incredibly difficult to pry out of the Triad sales representative, but they’re also considerably high (which explains why this information isn’t readily available to the consumer).
Unfortunately for Triad Security Systems, its customers don’t have much to say about it – literally! We have no customer reviews for Triad Security Systems, which suggests to us that Triad customers don’t necessarily have anything good to say about the company either.
4. Select Security
Select Security loses points with us because of its poor grade with the Better Business Bureau. According to the BBB report, many customers claimed they were dealt with unfairly, and that Select Security withheld information from them at the time of installation.
Unlike Triad Security Systems, Select Security does have several user scores posted on our site; however, the reviews aren’t great. In fact, the highest score a customer gave Select Security was a 2/10, and this is what he had to say:
3. U.S. Alarm
Going on down the list, we come to U.S. Alarm as the third-worst home security company of 2015. U.S. Alarm is a bit more expensive than the competition, and it only provides customers with a leasing option on its equipment, meaning that customers wishing to purchase a home security system outright will have to look elsewhere.
And, just like Triad Security Systems, there are no customer reviews on U.S. Alarm to be heard of. The company is not even reviewed by the Better Business Bureau, which can be (pardon the pun) cause for alarm.
2. Maximum Security Systems
In case you thought the scores couldn’t get any worse, allow us to introduce you to Maximum Security Systems. The 3.9 is due to the company’s incredibly poor customer service. Not only is getting in touch with a customer service representative next to impossible, but the technicians are also slow to respond.
Again, no user score here (we’re starting to notice a trend).
1. Platinum Protection
At the bottom of our list is Platinum Protection with a score of 2.8. And you’re about to learn why. Not only does Platinum Protection offer zero transparency about its pricing and policies, but it also laid off nearly all of its employees in one fell swoop. Platinum is also facing a federal lawsuit, and has over 100 complaints on file with the BBB along with a failing grade.
Platinum Protection has six reviews with us, all averaging a 0/10. Take it, Alex: