Before you make an agreement with a home security provider, you need to make sure that you protect yourself in every situation. The sales representative is not going to always look out for your best interest, so you need to. Don't get locked into a contract that you aren't sure is the best fit. Ask questions and learn about the system and provider before you sign up for anything.
Here is a list of questions you may want to ask before you purchase a home security system:
Do I need a home security system?
- Check crime rates in your area and
Can I make a custom home security plan?
- Find out if you will get to pick what monitors and sensors you need and dictate where they are placed.
What happens if I move, do I get to keep my system?
- Some security companies will allow you to transfer your system and keep the conditions of the current contract. If you are planning on moving before the contract expires, this is a good thing to know.
Does your system qualify me to receive a discount on home insurance?
- You may have to get in contact with your home insurance provider, but knowing if there is a discount associated with that system could save you a few bucks.
How much does a home security system really cost?
- After the installation, monitoring, and any additional fees, things could add up.
Is there any way to get out of a contract?
- If you are not satisfied with your home security system, you need to know if you have a way to opt-out of your contract.
Does my contract automatically renew after my current contract expires?
- Once your contract expires, some companies automatically renew your service. You could be locked into a long-term agreement if you don't know when your contract ends. If there is an automatic renewal process, make sure you know when your contract will expire.
Will I be notified of any offers and upgrades the company provides?
- You don't want to be charged for a service that a company decides to include for no cost. You also have the right to know when a service has been upgraded.
If I have a pet, will that change my security coverage?
- Some companies do not have the ability to maintain the highest level of security if you have an animal. Make sure that will not prevent you from optimal security coverage.
What kind of safety is guaranteed with that service?
- Find out what should be protected.
You want to make an informed decision, especially when it comes to protecting your home.