Between monthly monitoring costs and installation fees, it can seem like home security isn't worth the few extra dollars a year. In reality, you can't afford to not have a home security system. The United States has four times as many burglaries than any other country. Financially and emotionally overcoming a break-in is difficult. And if that isn't enough of a reason to consider installing a home security system, maybe these statistics will change your perspective:
- According to YahooHomes, victims of burglaries claimed a collected estimate of $4.78 billion in lost property last year.
- The average financial loss for each burglary victim averaged just over $2,100.
- Every 14 seconds, a home in the United States is broken into.
- A little over 70 percent of all burglaries occurred in residential neighborhoods/homes.
- If you live in the south, your home is 50 percent more likely to be broken into.
- Those who live in cities are also common victims to burglary. The chances of having your home broken into in the city are 43 percent higher than than suburban areas.
- On average, it takes a burglar 60 seconds to break into a home.
- The Electronic Security Association found that 9 out 10 burglars will stay clear of homes with alarm systems.
- During a typical TV commercial break, eight homes are broken into.
- You can save money on your home insurance premiums. Reports have shown that homeowners can save anywhere from 15-20 percent on their premium if they have a profession fire alarm and security system.
The risks aren't worth it. Protect your home.