- Keep your window shades down as prevention against someone peering in.
- Put all your lights, both indoor and outdoor, on timers to give the impression someone's home and watching.
- Lock all your doors with quality locks for both the deadbolt and knob.
- Invest in door reinforcement to beef up the jambs.
- Install a monitored home security system and keep it activated 24/7/365.
- Consider glass-break, shatterproof window film to beef up your window security.
- Lock all your windows, regardless of what floor they are on.
- Consider putting a block or extra screws in the windows to prevent them from being pried open.
- Be creative with your personal security by putting out a big dog bowl labeled "KILLER."
- Get a pair of men's boots and put them at the rear and front doors.
- Trim shrubbery so you aren't giving burglars a place to hide.
- Be efficient about picking up mail and newspapers, and have a friend do it for you if you are traveling.
- Don't let people see you pack your car. Park and pack your car in your garage or pack it at night if you are heading on a trip.
- When being picked up by a cab from your home, make a mock phone call to whomever saying "Hey Pat [a gender-neutral name]. "Don't let the dog out. He bit another person this morning." Then proceed to have a discussion with the cabbie about how vicious your dog is.
- Don't post where you are and where you aren't on social media. Be discreet.
15 Burglary Prevention Tips for Daylight Saving Time
Real Customer Reviews
The home security reviews on our site are left by both customers organically looking to share their opinions and customers whose opinions have been solicited.
In order to ensure the legitimacy of reviews on BestHomeSecurityCompanys.com, all reviews are moderated by real people. We check each review for fraud and violation of our review guidelines. Customer reviews are unbiasedly checked and used to rank the home security companies on our site. You can read the breakdown of how we rank companies here.