Find a Home Security Company in Your State
Burglaries are becoming increasingly rampant throughout the United States. The FBI estimates over 2.2 million burglaries occur each year–that’s one burglary every 14.6 seconds. Here are some other frightening statistics:
- Most burglaries take place between 10 AM and 3 PM and are predominately committed by men.
- Sadly, according to the FBI’s own records, the arrest rate for burglars was only 13% last year.
- The average dollar loss per burglary was $2,079 or 4.1% of the median household yearly income.
- Single-family detached homes are more likely to be targeted by burglars because there are generally more access points and more places for a burglar to hide.
- Homes located in the center of the block are more likely to be burglarized than corner houses. This may be due to the extra visibility of houses on corner lots.
- The typical burglar lives within 2 miles of the victim, and may even know the victim(s).
- Regionally, the south accounts for 47% of burglaries. The Midwest and west each account for 21% of burglaries, and the northeast accounts for the remaining 11%.
- A home without a home security system is three times more likely to be broken into than a home with a security system.
Find The Best Home Security by State/City
Many companies on this site provide compensation to us through commissions, allowing us to provide more accurate data to customers for free. Expert analysis, company research, and an aggregate review score determine the ranking of the companies listed on this site. Find out more.