ASG Security was founded in 2002 and has branches in three distinct service areas: 1) Mid-Atlantic region (Washington DC, Virginia, and Boston), 2) Texas, and 3) the Carolinas.
- Low Monthly Monitoring
- Home Automation Features
- $1,000 Service Guarantee
Low Monthly Monitoring
ASG offers a relatively low monthly monitoring rate.
Their price is close to the industry average and makes ASG a much less expensive option when comparing it to other home security companies.
And in addition to a traditional hardwired system that monitors via your phone line, ASG also provides a wireless broadband option.
Through ASG customers can monitor fire alarms and smoke detectors, security cameras, motion detectors, and door sensors.
Home Automation Features
ASG also provides numerous home automation features to help you monitor and control your home remotely.
Customers can control door locks, thermostats, lighting, and even small appliances all through the ASG Evolve mobile app.
$1,000 Service Guarantee
ASG also offers a $1,000 service guarantee.
In the event that your system malfunctions or an undetected theft takes place in one of your home's monitored areas, ASG will not only pay up to $1,000 towards your home insurance deductible but will also credit your account for any charges incurred as a result of the alarm or service visit.
Few home security companies offer this feature.
- No Pricing Information
- High Upfront Costs
- Few Resources
- Problematic Billing Practices
No Pricing Information
ASG Security's website does not provide information such as pricing and equipment specs/details.
We called the company's headquarters and were directed to call a local branch.
The local branch then prompted us to give our telephone number to be contacted by a sales rep. In all, it took us four calls to discover information about pricing, installation fees, and equipment details. When we finally found this information, not all of it was positive.
High Upfront Costs
ASG charges high upfront costs before monitoring services are rendered.
While ASG does provide some helpful troubleshooting tips on its website, it's lacking in terms of the number of online product manuals found on its site. Though the company lists several of the products it offers, it can only provide operating manuals on a portion of them.
Problematic Billing Practices
Customers have also cited several issues regarding ASG's billing practices (e.g., charging for services not rendered, changing the monthly monitoring fees in-term, and billing after cancellation).
ASG provides solid home security and home automation features for a decent monthly price.
The $1,000 service guarantee is a unique proposition offered by few competitors in the industry and can be a major boon to customers who have experienced a break-in while monitoring with ASG.
However, customers should be wary of any company that proffers so little information upfront.
Pricing information, cancellation and contract terms, and other helpful product information are crucial to the customer's decision-making process.
Before selecting a home security company, customers are encouraged to look into companies that are more transparent about this information.
About ASG Security
ASG Security has two types of systems: Vista 20 and 2GIG.
The Vista 20, built by Ademco, is a hardwired system that connects to a landline. VISTA-20P gives you the ability to send alarm signals and upload/download via an Internet Protocol (IP), improving the speed at which information can be delivered to and from the control panel.
The panel's installation advantages, innovative end-user benefits and robust system capacity make the value-priced VISTA-20P an ideal choice for higher-end installations.
The 2GIG system is wireless and supports GSM communication allowing for cellular monitoring.
The 2GIG system comes with a GO! Control Panel. Go! Control allows the central station to listen in and talk to the homeowner when a signal is received. In addition, customers can now control lighting, HVAC, and other Z-Wave appliances in the home right from the panel, web-enabled phone, or the internet.
No need for extra hardware-it's all contained within the Go!Control panel.
The standard ASG Security package includes:
- 1 control panel
- 3 window/door sensors
- 1 motion detector
- Yard sign and decals
The ASG home automation system allows you to walk into your home and instantly feel comfortable by giving you the ability to remotely control light switches, doors, and the temperature.
It provides an easier way to manage the technologies you depend on for a secure, comfortable home.
The following are the main features that come with an ASG home automation system:
- Touch Screen Panel - When you integrate the automation system with the alarm system, everything you need to manage the home can be done from the wall-mounted digital LCD panel. No push buttons. No codes. Just simple, easy-to-read text on a touch screen display.
- Temperature Control - This is another convenient feature offered by the ASG system. Control the climate of your home every day from wherever you happen to be. For example, on a cold day you can heat up your house on your way home from work so it's comfortable when you get home.
- Lighting and Small Appliance Control - From your touch screen panel you can control anything from lamps to curling irons to coffee pots. Any lights or appliances that often are forgotten can be turned off on a schedule so you don't have to worry.
- Mobile Desktop Account Center - With ASG Connect, it is easy to interact with your home from wherever you are. Just simply log onto the webpage and you can view the entire home and account info from any device. This also allows you to make any adjustments to the system from the road.
- Electronic Door Locks - With this feature integrated into your security system you can remotely lock and unlock doors from anywhere.