NorthStar Alarm has been in business since 2000, is available in 30 U.S. states, has over 200 employees and services over 50,000 customers. They offer 24/7 professional security monitoring for individuals, and equipment for home security and home automation. Installation is done professionally.
To a better option, compare Northstar Alarm to the top home security company.
- Free, Profesional Installation
- Lifetime Service Protection
- Positive NorthStar Alarm Reviews
Free, Professional Installation
This alarm system will appeal to those wishing to avoid the DIY approach. All NorthStar security systems are professionally installed for free when you sign up. Additionally, if you move within one year of purchasing, NorthStar will re-install your system for free at your new home.
The caveat is that you are required to sign a new, minimum 60-month contract at the new rate.
Lifetime Service Protection
Make sure to read the fine print of the lifetime service protection before choosing NorthStar based on their warranty.
NorthStar claims to have the best warranty and guarantee in the home monitoring business. The company has a lifetime warranty on their home security hardware, false alarm protection guarantee, and free lifetime battery replacement.
In the first year, new customers are not charged for service calls, and they won't be charged if they move.
The lifetime service protection from NorthStar does not cover your equipment if it is damaged due to weather conditions, natural disasters, remodeling/renovation, power surges, or your own accidents.
The one-year free of service calls is not actually free. NorthStar states that they charge a minimum of $35 as a "Trip Charge" for each home visit. There are additional charges for "Emergencies" outside of business hours.
Positive NorthStar Alarm Reviews
Even though NorthStar Alarm is rated 4.8 out of 10 by consumers on Best Home Security Companys, the company has had several positive reviews from new customers in 2019.
These positive reviews highlight the following:
- Technicians. New customers of NorthStar Alarm are very pleased with the technicians and customer service they receive right out of the gate. Service is described as friendly, knowledgeable, quick, and quick.
- Explanation of system. These customers also feel like they know how to use their alarm and integrate their system with the app and panel.
- Unknown Packages and Alarm Pricing
- Long Contract
- Negative NorthStar Alarm Reviews
- Not Available Nationwide
Unknown Packages and Alarm Pricing
NorthStar does not seem to have organized home security packages available for purchasing or monitoring.
Instead, potential customers will need to go through NorthStar's equipment and pick which home security and home automation features they want. Pricing is not available on-line for equipment or monitoring.
NorthStar does offer 24/7 monitoring, but again, the price is undisclosed. It's also undisclosed whether or not equipment comes with the monitoring, or needs to be purchased separately.
The main monitoring plan seems to have a back-up generator in place.
NorthStar requires a minimum 60-month (5 year) contract. If you move in the middle of that 5-year contract, your contract will start over with the company at their current monitoring rates. On top of that, your contract will automatically renew unless you cancel in writing, 60-days prior to the end of your contract.
Negative NorthStar Alarm Reviews
Before 2019, most of the reviews on Best Home Security Companys were negative. Since then, we have seen a mix of happy and unhappy customers. Below are the biggest complaints from reviewers for NorthStar Alarm in the last year:
- Contract. A lot of customers are angry that their contract extended after purchasing new equipment or that it automatically renewed. The company's minimum 5-year contract was a lot for most people. To cancel a contract, customers report it costs $1,800-$3,000
- Customer service. A common complaint about NorthStar is that it's difficult or impossible to get ahold of the company outside of their service hours. Others have commented that the company does not return calls. When people could get ahold of customer service, they did not have positive things to say about the interactions. There are also several mentions of technician service and the fees accompanied by service.
- False alarms. Even though the company has alarm protection guarantee, many customers have left reviews about false alarms. Local police can charge individuals for each false alarm after a warning.
Not Available Nationwide
NorthStar is licensed in the following 30 states: AL, AR, AZ, CA, CO, DE, FL, GA, ID, IN, KS, LA, MD, MI, MO, MN, NC, NM, NV, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WI.
We do not recommend using NorthStar Alarm services at this time. The company has a length 5-year contract, whereas most home security companies have 3-year contracts or even no contracts. Additionally, your contract may auto-renew with NorthStar Alarm when you move, purchase new equipment, or forget to cancel. Their "lifetime service protection" has many caveats and should be read carefully. Lastly, we do not like that the equipment and monitoring costs, as well as the actual home security packages, are not displayed on their site.
NorthStar Alarm Products and Packages
- Honeywell Lyric Controller. This is the main hub for your home security and automations with NorthStar. A few examples of what you can control via this panel include the thermostat, lights, video monitor, lights, and security system. It features voice control so you can be hands-free
- NorthStar Connect App. Through their mobile app, you can arm and disarm your home and view live video footage. The app allows customers to control all their smart home devices (like thermostat), and decide when they are turned on and off. You'll also get notifications when someone is at your door if you have the doorbell camera.
Home Security Equipment:
- Door sensors
- Indoor motion detector
- Window sensors
- Wireless outdoor sensor (water and tamper resistant)
- Glassbreak detector (within 25 feet)
- Smoke detector (5-year battery)
- Carbon monoxide detector (5-year battery)
Home Automation Equipment:
- Door lock
- Garage opener
- Doorbell camera
- Indoor camera (C1 and C2)
- Medical Alert Pendant
|Monthly Monitoring Fee||Undisclosed|
|Install & Equipment Fee||Undisclosed|
|Contract Length||60 Months|
|System Relocation Fee||Undisclosed|
|Review Last Updated: August 25, 2020|
Many companies on this site provide compensation to us through commissions, allowing us to provide more accurate data to customers for free. Expert analysis, company research, and an aggregate review score determine the ranking of the companies listed on this site. Find out more.