Ackerman Security Systems has been providing security solutions in the Georgia, Washington D.C., Maryland, and Virginia regions since 1967. They provide custom-built security systems that are geared towards suiting the homeowner’s situation.
|Rank Chart||Monthly Price||Upfront Costs||Video||Our Score|
In addition to building customer home security and automation systems, Ackerman Security Systems provides professional monitoring service for burglary, fire, and medical emergencies. Ackerman does not require customers to bundle packages or services and they provide a free consultation to help customers with their purchasing decision.
Ackerman home security is one of the nation’s leaders in the customized home security package. Unlike other security companies, Ackerman does not have a one-size-fits-all approach to home security. A sales person will sit down with you and evaluate your home and work with you to build a security system that suits the unique requirements of your specific situation.
Ackerman also offers security feature add-ons. These include:
- Water sensors – multiple sensing probes can detect water leaks in multiple areas of your home. There is also extra flexibility where the customer can decide between high and low sensitivity.
- Temperature sensors – Ackerman customers have the ultimate flexibility to choose temperature settings. There is also a remote temperature probe that allows one to control the freezer.
- Asset protection devices – sync monitoring station with actions that need to be taken when certain sensors go off
- Medical alert system – for those who may be elderly, there is now a way to link the home security system to the medical alert system to maintain independence while remaining protected
In addition to home security upgrades, Ackerman offers a home automation package that is connected to the customized home security system.
It may be important to note that common concerns of current customers report poor experiences with individual sales representatives. The complaints range from misrepresentation of overall cost, confusion regarding cancellation policies and improper installation.
Customers have expressed concerns over the following Ackerman business practices:
- Sales Representatives – When a customer is about to purchase a product, they should receive all of the information they need up-front without being pushed too hard. Some customers have experienced individual sales reps falsifying information or not being prepared to answer their questions.
- Advertising practices – Other consumers have felt mislead, especially on how much the service costs. Some claim that they saw one price, but were given a much higher rate due to home/property size.
- Additional fees – Since up-front costs are determined based on several different factors, some customers have found that they were charged for services that they weren’t aware of.
The Bottom Line
Ackerman Security has a reputation of providing a highly affordable home security service with a top rating from the BBB. Ultimately, Ackerman Security Systems is a company that uses long-established strategies to generate a client base, such as inviting their potential clients to get specific information from a salesperson. While this tactic makes some consumers feel uneasy, the company’s reputation speaks for itself. We recommend avoiding potential problems by taking your time with the salesperson and clarifying any details about your service before signing a contract.
The overall service Ackerman customers can expect include:
- Wireless and phone line connecting
- Home automation services
- Customized home security systems
- Almost 50 years of experience
Ackerman Home Security Expert Review
Ackerman’s goal is to help secure their customer’s homes by protecting each vulnerable area of the property. They do not believe in a “one size fits all” type of approach which is why they do not have pre-determined home security packages available. While having the ability to customize the system is desirable, it does make it difficult to figure out the costs of Ackerman’s service prior to the consultation and quote process.
Technology and Equipment Overview
Ackerman provides a customized experience for all of their customers. When you sign up, you will have the option of building your own security system. Since the customer knows where their home is the most vulnerable to a break-in, Ackerman believes it is best to have a customized security package.
When building a system, customers can receive the following if they decide:
- Keypad – comes with illuminated keys and easy-to-read display
- Glass break sensor – has a sensing method that reduces false alarms
- Motion detectors – complete with a pet immunity mode
- Remote control – provides some home automation features
- Video cameras – available for indoor and outdoor usage
- Fire and smoke detectors – photoelectric smoke detectors detect smoldering fires while the heat detectors detect fast flames
- CO detectors – utilizes electrochemical sensing technology to sense low levels of CO that may be hazardous
There are also options for upgraded technology, choosing between hard-wired or wireless monitoring as well as additional security features. Home automation equipment includes:
- Smart control panels – allows homeowners to control the security system, lights, locks, and thermostat
- Smart door locks – lock and unlock doors with mobile devices
- Smart thermostat control – allows for maximizing comfort and energy savings
- Remote light control – sets up schedules to control lights remotely
- Video cameras – remotely access live feeds of a home’s activity
- Security alerts – instant notifications will be sent in the event of an emergency
Ackerman also allows customers to keep their existing equipment and transfer security and monitoring control over to Ackerman.
Pricing and Packages
There are not necessarily packages for customers to choose from since Ackerman customizes each individual system. Alarm monitoring starts at $19.95/month, but it is not clear what home automation monitoring will cost. A quote will be necessary to know exactly what Ackerman will cost month-to-month for all services.
Those who visit the company’s website certainly provides a strong sense of what the company offers and a general idea of what to expect on a month to month basis in terms of basic costs of external monitoring; however, there is no place on the website that provides details regarding installation fees or system specifications. Additional efforts on the consumers behalf will have to be taken to find individual quotes for equipment.
Contract and Cancellation
Ackerman Security Systems provides a customizable service. Often times, this means that customers will need to purchase the security equipment since it will be suited for their unique living situation. Since Ackerman customers buy their security and automation equipment, there are no long-term contracts associated with the service. Contracts are often associated with home security providers that loan the equipment to their customers throughout the duration of the service period. By owning the system outright, Ackerman customers do not have to worry about getting locked into an agreement.
Because there are no contracts associated with the Ackerman service, customers can cancel at any time without paying additional charges or early termination fees.
Ackerman has professional technicians come into the home to install the system. There will be a scheduled appointment where a certified technician will install the wireless system and make sure activation is handled properly.
If a customer already owns a home security system and all accompanying parts, a technician will still come to the property to make sure the transferring of control to Ackerman is handled successfully.
Ackerman utilizes wireless alarm monitoring, which means customers will not need a phone line for their system to be activated. Monthly monitoring starts at $19.95/month, but that can vary based on home automation services or whether the system is for commercial purposes.
For potential customers who already own a home security system but decide to switch to Ackerman, there is an option that allows transferring of control. In these situations, Ackerman will provide free monitoring when the switch takes place.
Ackerman professional monitoring covers burglary, fire, and medical emergencies. All monitoring is backed up and covered 24/7.
Are there any inaccuracies in this review? We take accuracy very seriously and would love your feedback. Visit our Request Reconsideration page and send us your feedback today!