Quick Look at SimpliSafe
SimpliSafe was founded in 2006 and is headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts. The company designs home security systems that are meant to be simple and cutting edge.
Try the #1 Rated by Home Security Customers
When it comes to comparing SimpliSafe with other top home security companies, like the #1 rated ADT, it's no contest. ADT offers better home security systems with more discounts, better offers, and give customers the option between DIY and professionally installed systems. We highly recommend you take a look at ADT home security, or one of our other top home security companies.
Nowadays, SimpliSafe claims to be ushering in a new era of smart home automation. The company protects over 2 million Americans and offers 24/7 professional monitoring services, no long-term contracts, and low prices.
SimpliSafe ranked in The Inc. 500 as one of the fastest growing private companies in the nation in 2014.
SimpliSafe is a viable DIY security system, especially for those who don't want to permanently hardwire their system into their home.
|What do 2023 SimpliSafe reviews say about the company?||Customer reviews for SimpliSafe are mixed.
While the negative reviews are upset with the faulty equipment and shoddy customer service, the positive reviews detail the helpfulness of the security system and applaud the company’s extensive experience. Both happy and unhappy customers mention how they liked SimpliSafe's low upfront and monitoring prices.
Overall, Best Company has received over 220 customer reviews for SimpliSafe and the average customer rating is 3.5 out of 5 — not bad, but not the best rating in comparison to the top home security companies.
|Is SimpliSafe a Good Security System?||On paper, SimpliSafe’s security system looks like one of the better systems on the market. However, customer reviews tell a slightly different story.
SimpliSafe has received mixed reviews specifically about its home security devices. Customers report faulty equipment, false alarms, and limited customer support when it comes to fixing equipment errors.
Another thing to consider is that reports suggest that a SimpliSafe alarm system can be hacked with a wireless emitter.
|SimpliSafe vs. Frontpoint?||Frontpoint has a higher customer satisfaction than SimpliSafe does - many of those touch on customer service. With Frontpoint, you don't have to purchase your equipment upfront, you pay it off monthly.
That's why they have a 3-year contract.
With SimpliSafe, you purchase all equipment upfront, so you don't need a contract for alarm monitoring — this leads to easier cancellation. You can also choose between DIY and professional installation with SimpliSafe.
Unfortunately, SimpliSafe does not have a great reputation.
In years past, SimpliSafe has had issues with their hardware getting hacked as reported by Forbes back in February 2016. As recent as 2019, there were reports that the system could be compromised with a wireless emitter.
We prefer Frontpoint’s experience and trustworthiness over SimpliSafe’s ease of installation.
|SimpliSafe vs. Ring vs. ADT?||SimpliSafe vs Ring vs ADT
Simplisafe, Ring, and ADT all have things in common. For example, all three companies have their own mobile app for monitoring home security. Similarly, each company is upfront about its pricing.
ADT Professional Monitoring costs between $45.99 and $59.99 monthly, SimpliSafe costs between $9.99 and $27.99 monthly, and Ring costs $10 monthly.
However, there are a few important distinctions between the three companies. SimpliSafe and Ring do not require long-term contracts for its customers, while ADT's minimum contract length is 36 months. They also have very different customer ratings.
SimpliSafe's customer rating is 3.5/5 stars with an overall professional score of 7.9/10. ADT's customer rating is 4/5 stars with an overall professional rating of 8.4/10. Ring's customer rating is 4.3/5 stars with an overall professional score of 6.7/10.
Of the three companies, we recommend SimpliSafe to avoid the contract, otherwise we recommend ADT. However, there are much better home security companies than these three. For example, Vivint Smart Home has a 9.5 overall score.
Do Customers Like Simplisafe?
SimpliSafe has earned a 3.5/5 star rating from over 220 verified customer reviews. While 60% of those reviews are 4- or 5- stars, 33% are 1- or 2- stars. SimpliSafe customer reviews are mixed, with a good amount of both negative and positive reviews.
Reviews from customers who had positive experiences mention:
- Easy to install
- Convenient mobile app
- Friendly customer service
Satisfied and unsatisfied customers alike mention their reasonable prices.
SimpliSafe customers have to pay for their equipment upfront. The Foundation, which is their most basic package, is $171.47, and The Haven, which is their most extensive package, is $353.40. Monitoring prices range from $9.99 to $27.99. Even customers who had poor experiences with SimliSafe mention that they liked the low prices.
Complaints of SimpliSafe are:
- Sensors: Many customers report having to replace faulty sensors - not connecting to the overall home security system properly, or not sticking to the walls/doors. Specific reviews mention the carbon monoxide sensor.
- Cheap Equipment: In addition to issues with the sensors, many report that they have experienced issues and glitches with the entire system.
- False Alarms: Because of the sensor and equipment issues, customers are also reporting false alarms with the SimpliSafe system.
- Customer Service: Reviewers mention that customer service is difficult to work with. Some customer reps have not been helpful in dealing with system issues customers have.
- Monthly Monitoring: $9.99 - $27.99
- Equipment Packages: $171.47 - $353.40
So How Much Does SimpliSafe Cost?
SimpliSafe has three, 24/7 monitoring plans.
The Self-Monitoring Plan is $9.99/month. This plan gives customers access to the mobile app and allows them to access and download recordings. There is no professional monitoring or dispatch included in this plan.
The Standard Plan is a home security service monitoring plan that costs $17.99/month. Along with the app, this plan includes professional monitoring and 24/7 dispatch.
The Interactive Plan is a professional monitoring plan that costs $27.99/month. This includes the app, dispatch, unique detection abilities, and all types of notifications and alerts. This includes smart home integrations and alerts via mobile app, as well us unlimited camera recording.
These monthly fees are lower than other home security systems.
SimpliSafe vs. Vivint Smart HomeTake a Look
You can purchase equipment individually or in bundles. SimpliSafe equipment options, and their prices, are listed below:
- Video doorbell: $169 — Includes motion alerts and 2-way audio so you can see who is at your door from your phone.
- Indoor camera: $99 — The SimpliCam indoor camera from Simplisafe sends motion alerts to your phone and streams live.
- Siren: $59.99 — This alarm is 105db, completely wireless, and can be used in or outdoors.
- Entry sensor: $14.99 — These are door and window sensors meant to detect a breach in entryways.
- Motion sensor: $29.99 — A motion detector uses either heat detection or radar to detect movement. Motion detection may also be included on an outdoor security camera.
- Glass Break sensor: $34.00 — These sensors are able to detect the unique frequency of glass breaking. Once the frequency is detected an alarm is triggered.
- Freeze sensor: $29.99 — A freeze detector is a temperature sensor that notifies home owners when temperatures drop below a predetermined point. Essentially, it a thermostat with an alarm.
- Water / flood sensor: $19.99 — Detects the presence of water.
- Smoke detector: $29.99 — Detects the presence of smoke.
- Panic button: $19.99 — A manual panic button used for unique circumstances and emergencies that are not detectable by automatic sensors.
- Keypad: $69.99 — A smart lock add on that can be a replacement for a key.
- Keyfob: $24.99 — An automatic door unlock/lock.
Most equipment bundles include no contracts, 24/7 professional monitoring, and no phone line is needed. All offered packages come with a SimpliSafe base station, keypad, and sensors.
The Foundation — $171.47: This is the smallest equipment package SimpliSafe offers - made for small homes and apartments. It includes a main door sensor, motion sensor, SimpliSafe base station, and keypad. As with all plans, buyers can add on SimpliSafe products: a video doorbell (with two-way audio and motion alert) for $169, and SimpliSafe camera for $99. The camera offers motion alerts and you can stream live feed from your app.
The Essentials — $192.47: The next package from SimpliSafe is "The Essentials". Instead of one sensor, this package includes three door sensors. It comes with the base station and keypad.
The Hearth — $272.94: Along with the three door sensors, base station, keypad, and motion sensor, this package also includes a smoke detector, key fob, and wireless siren.
The Knox — $325.41: This kit is ideal for larger homes, as it includes twice as many sensors as the previous packages: six entry sensors and 2 motion sensors as well as a SimpliSafe base station.
The Haven — $353.40: While this package only includes four entry sensors and two motion sensors, it also has a water sensor and a freeze sensor, which will alert you if the temperature in your home drops below 41 degrees. This package also includes a panic button.
All of these home automation features can be monitored by the company's app.
SimpliSafe Monthly Monitoring Prices
Self-Monitoring Package: $9.99/month
- Control system with mobile app
- Access recordings for 30 days
- Download recordings from app to phone or computer
- Up to 5 cameras
Standard Monitoring Package: $17.99/month
- 24/7 cellular monitoring & police dispatch
- 24/7 fire monitoring & firemen dispatch
- 24/7 medical response dispatch
- Smart home monitoring (fire, smoke, water, temperature, etc)
- Control system with mobile app
- Control smart lock through mobile app
- Alarm, error, and camera notifications
Interactive Monitoring Package: $27.99/month
- Standard Monitoring Package +
- Emergency medical dispatch
- Unlimited camera recordings
- Smart person detection
- Advanced & private alerts
- Connect your system to Google Assistant or Alexa
- Up to 10 cameras
SimpliSafe’s Installation Process
Cove’s COVID-19 Measures
SimpliSafe wishes to ensure its customers that it maintains its 24/7 monitoring during the pandemic. Additionally, the company has taken precautionary measures to ensure the healthy and safety of its employees and customers:
- They’ve got 6 monitoring centers spread out across the U.S.
- All alarm signals can be re-distributed to any alarm center as needed.
- Each center is always able to handle a surge of 20% more alarms.
- If one monitoring center is affected by COVID-19, SimpliSafe plans to staff up the other centers to compensate.
- Each dispatcher is given quarterly disaster preparedness training.
DIY or Professional Installation
With SimpliSafe, customers have the choice between a DIY installation or professional installation. DIY installation can be a pro or a con depending on the individual. For example, many people struggle with setting up even the simplest technology. Such individuals may want to opt for the professional installation option.
Those who want the help of a technician can pay $79 for professional installation.
In any case, SimpliSafe is good for those interested in buying their own home security equipment and setting up the sensors and keypad however they want.
SimpliSafe’s Contract Length
SimpliSafe does not require its customers to sign a long-term contract. Instead, their contracts are month-to-month.
The company is able to do this because customers buy the home security systems upfront, which means the upfront fees will be high.
The equipment you purchase has a 3-year warranty and a 60-day money-back guarantee.
SimpliSafe’s Smart Home Technology
SimpliSafe boasts an extremely advanced home security system with technology to rival the top home security companies in the world.
With a SimpliSafe security system, customers can arm/disarm their systems from anywhere. Other advantages include:
- Device batteries last almost a decade.
- Customized alerts for friends and family.
- Voice control: Alexa, Google Assistant, August Locks, Apple Watch, etc.
- Quiet alarms for cabinets and safes.
- Duress pin capability.
- Customized for unique homes.
Voice Device Compatibility
SimpliSafe works with both Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant to allow customers to control their smart home security with their voice.
SimpliSafe is appealing to those in search of home security because of the low monthly monitoring fees. People are also drawn to SimpliSafe because of the DIY security system - they can install it on their own time wherever they want. However, customer service may not be able to help if you run into issues.
Many negative reviews about SimpliSafe's equipment (motion sensor and security cameras) lead us to believe the low monitoring costs are not worth it.
If you do purchase SimpliSafe, the good news is that there are no contracts and the company offers a 60-day money-back guarantee.
We recommend comparing SimpliSafe to the top-rated home security companies with professional monitoring and minimal upfront fees.