Slomin's is a family-owned company that was established in 1923 and has been providing home security services since 1981.
Their home security and home automation services are availabe in the following states:
- Maryland (and Washington D.C.)
- New Jersey
- New York
Slomin's provides customers with a number of home automation tools that allow them to monitor and control their home's security while they're away.
Customers can access door locks, thermostats, lighting, and both live and recorded video monitoring all from the conveniences of the Slomin's smartphone app.
Slomin's offers the following services for home and business: security systems, home automation, heat, and cooling. Final purchases will need credit approval.
Try the #1 DIY Home Security
Slomin's has poor customer reviews, long contracts, and expensive monthly monitoring, so we recommend checking out Cove instead. Cove is a do-it-yourself home security system that requires no contracts. Monthly monitoring for Cove costs $17.99 - $27.99. Read Cove Security reviews to see why over 300 customers have given Cove a 4.6/5 star rating.
View Best Home Security Companies
Do Customers Like Slomin's?
The Slomin's reviews on BestCompany.com are mostly negative and not very recent. While there are a few positive reviews, the majority are from unsatisfied customers. Some common themes of these reviews include:
- Poor customer service. The customer service is described as rude, and often trying to upsell customers.
- Contract. There are many complaints about Slomin's 5-year contract. This is the longest length contract in home security. Customers report that breaking their contract have run them anywhere from $1000 to $2000. There are a few reviews that reference a 2-year contract. Some people report a miscommunication from what they were told their contract said, and what their contract actually said.
- Alarm maintenance issues. There are several reports of poor quality equipment, and alarm issues that required a technician to fix.
Slomin's Home Security Cost
Slomin's offers the Slomin's Shield System security package valued at $1,145.00 for free. The free system includes a panel, key pad, three door motion detectors, battery backup, yard signs, and window decals. To qualify for the free system, customers need to sign a 5-year contract.
Customers can also customize their home security system. The customized package begins with everything in the Slomin's Shield System for free, but customers can add any other equipment for the following prices:
- Doorbell Camera: $290.00
- Indoor Camera: $180.00
- Outdoor Dome Camera: $485.00
- Indoor Pan & Tilt Camera: $280.00
Sensors & Detectors
- Door Sensor: $55.00
- Window Sensor: $70.00
- Motion Detector: $90.00
- Smoke Detector: $115.00
- Carbon Monoxide Detector: $105.00
- Audio Glass Break Detector: $95.00
- Water Detector: $115.00
- Temperature Sensor: $105.00
- Outdoor Contact: $145.00
- Z-Wave Door Lock: $295.00
- Z-Wave Thermostat: $115.00
- Z-Wave Garage Door Opener: $175.00
- Z-Wave Appliance Module: $50.00
- Z-Wave Dimmer Module: $50.00
- Keychain Remote: $50.00
- Touchscreen Keypad: $250.00
- Garage Door Tilt Sensor: $60.00
- Personal Emergency Pendant: $100.00
- Smart In-Wall Switches: $35.00
Monthly Monitoring Cost
Security customers can also rest easy with Slomin's round-the-clock security monitoring and fast response times. The company even provides a form of false alarm prevention by providing customers with a unique password to be used in the event of a false alarm.
They offer two monthly monitoring plans, and both require a 5-year contract.
Standard Plan: $35.95/Month
- 24/7 professional monitoring
- Cellular communication
- 32 user codes
- Event history for viewing on keypad
- 24 hour battery backup
- 1-year equipment warranty
Ultimate Plan: $49.95/Month
- Standard Plan benefits included
- Lifetime equipment service
- Remote access to system
- Mobile alerts
- Control smart home devices
- View live camera feed
- Clips & recordings from motion triggers
These monthly monitoring plans are slightly more expensive than the industry average and do not offer as many benefits.
Slomin's only offers a 5-year contract, which is two years longer than the standard 3-year contract offered by most home security companies.
And while the company promises approximately $1,145.00 in free equipment by signing such a long contract, customers will be required to compensate Slomin's should they decide to terminate the contract before it expires.
We recommend checking out Cove and Vivint who both have options that require no contract.
Slomin's Home Security guarantees free professional installation on all projects, and estimates between three and four hours of installation time for each install (depending on the size of the job and the security features requested).
Slomin's does not offer do-it-yourself installation at this time. If you are interested in a DIY home security system, we recommend Cove.
Slomin's equipment comes with a 1-year manufacturers warranty, which begins the day of installation. This warranty includes repairs and replacement of parts at no additional cost to the customer.
Commercial Security Systems
For commercial security systems, Slomin's offer the following solutions:
- Access Control - Choose whether you need Badge Access, Gate or Door Control, Photo IDs, Time and Attendance Monitoring, and Fingerprint Reading.
- Video Cameras - In case you need to keep track of lost items or goods, point of sales, events, and live monitoring.
- Camera Options - bullet video cameras, vandal-resistant domes, infrared, outdoor cameras, vari-focal, etc.
- Live and Remote Viewing
- Digital Video Recording
- Digital Video Recorders
Slomin's contract is very long compared to other home security companies and will require expensive termination fees if one decides to cancel. While their monthly monitoring fees are average in the industry, there are other companies that offer less expensive monthly monitoring. The negative reviews on customer service and the fact that they are only available in 10 states, makes us not recommend using Slomin's. To find a cheaper home security system that is in your state, check out Cove or Vivint Smart Home.