Holiday Home Security Stats:
- The weeks between Thanksgiving and New Year's Day report the second-highest burglary rates of the year.
- From 2001 to 2011, the average financial loss due to home burglary (per household) rose from $1,500 to over $2,100.
- Cities with the most break-ins per 1,000 people:
- Vallejo, CA: 25.38%
- Cleveland, OH: 20.94%
- Little Rock, AR: 19.45%
- Jackson, MS: $19.35%
- Flint, MI: 19.10%
- Approximately 65% of home thefts take place in BROAD DAYLIGHT.
- And 1 in 3 home thefts are by unforced entry (meaning the door was either unlocked or open).
Holiday Home Security Tips:
- Crooks are 60% less likely to attempt a burglary if they notice a home security or alarm system on the property.
- Having a security camera on your front porch can help you keep an eye on package deliveries, or help authorities identify thieves.
- If you're traveling during the holidays, be careful about what you post on social media. Crooks will be looking for signs that you are not at home.
- And if you're staying at home, don't let your boxes or packaging pile up outside. This clues burglars into what valuables are inside.
If you're looking for a home security system, but don't know which one is right for you, take a look at our top recommended home security companies.