Alarm.com is an all-in-one technology provider.
The company places a heavy emphasis on the tech equipment they offer and how it can integrate homes and businesses. These products are for tech-savvy individuals and include home security automation, energy management, property access, video monitoring, and wellness - all from their app. Those interested in Alarm.com must use a third party provider.
- High-Tech Equipment
- Alarm.com Smart Home Integrations
Alarm.com is more than a home security company. They sell almost any smart home technology a tech-lover could want. With intelligent learning, Alarm.com's equipment learns the patterns of day-to-day life, and are able to recognize inconsistencies in the home. Products they offer include:
- Interactive Home Security System. Their home security system is professionally monitored 24/7. It's also crash-proof, gives extreme weather alerts, and has a two-way voice system. The system uses a cellular connection.
- Property Access. Customers can use an app to open and shut their garage door and lock the doors to their home.
- Video Monitoring. Alarm.com has indoor and outdoor cameras, doorbell cameras, and video analytics. Owners can stream or playback recorded video within their app.
- Wellness. Both seniors and families can benefit from the company's wellness plan (similar to a medical alert device).
- Energy Management. Control smart thermostats and lights to help save energy.
Alarm.com Smart Home Integrations
Alarm.com has always been top in the industry when it comes to new technology. The company was one of the first to offer an app for smartwatches. Their app in the Google Play store is rated 3.9/5, and 4.8/5 in the apple store. These are high ratings compared to other home security apps. Other app integrations they offer include:
- Apple TV
- Fire TV
- Apple Watch
- Amazon Alexa
- Google Home
With Alarm.com's technology, there is total remote access from a smartphone, smartwatch, or computer. For example, a customer can turn their lights on and off from wherever they are, check on kids that are home alone, and see when packages are delivered.
- Alarm.com Complaints
- Must Use Third-Party to Purchase
- Undisclosed Information
- Trying to get ahold of the company
- Technical support
- Unreliability of cameras
- Home security contract (length and the cost to get out of the contract)
- Alarm system not working properly or false alarms
Must Use Third-Party to Purchase
Alarm.com uses authorized security dealers to install and monitor their products. The company's website does not list their authorized dealers on their website. Just to find out if there is an authorized dealer in a zip code, or who they are, interested parties need to send over full name, email address, and zip code to Alarm.com.
Potentially customers will also need to send over their personal information just to get an idea of pricing. Alarm.com does not list costs on their site, as costs will vary from dealer to dealer. The company has this vague description of costs on its site, "Low upfront costs and ongoing monthly service fee similar to a cell phone...". Overall, upfront costs will likely depend on which equipment from Alarm.com is used.
Monitoring costs may run from $40-60. Other reputable home security companies offer monitoring for as little as $19.99/month. Several more are in the $30-45 range.
Contract lengths are similarly undisclosed due to dealer preferences. Multiple reviewers mention that contracts can last up to five years and that customers must pay to cancel them when they move.
Despite offering customized options for alarm and smart home automation, there is somewhat limited transparency in terms of what Alarm.com offers. Tech-savvy individuals may enjoy integrating their home with the many products offered by Alarm.com. However, those looking for a system more focused on home security will be able to find a less expensive system with shorter contract lengths. We recommend reading the reviews from Alarm.com customers below and comparing them to our top home security companies before making a decision.
Smart Home Security Equipment
Alarm.com lets customers build their own system to get the exact products they want in their home. All smart home and home security devices offered by Alarm.com (and more) can be controlled via the Alarm.com mobile app. To find pricing information on the below equipment, contact Alarm.com to find a dealer near you.
- Security panel (two-way voice control, crash and smash technology)
- Indoor camera (video monitoring)
- Outdoor camera
- Doorbell camera
- Smart lock
- Image sensor
- Garage door control
- Window sensor (communicates with thermostat)
- Smart thermostat
- Temperature sensor
- Extreme weather alerts
- Smoke detector
- Carbon monoxide detector
- Light control
- Water sensor
- Pet tracker
- Solar panels
|Monthly Monitoring Fee||$40-$60|
|Install & Equipment Fee||Undisclosed|
|System Relocation Fee||Undisclosed|
|Review Last Updated: June 23, 2020|
Many companies on this site provide compensation to us through commissions, allowing us to provide more accurate data to customers for free. Expert analysis, company research, and an aggregate review score determine the ranking of the companies listed on this site. Find out more.